Thank you for your inquiry about employment opportunities at Referee magazine and the National Association of Sports Officials (NASO).
The associate editor for Referee Enterprises, Inc. works with the managing editor and staff on creating and editing officiating-related content for Referee magazine and a variety of Referee/NASO print and digital publications. This position requires both: 1) Experience officiating at the high-school level or above, and 2) Experience creating content for publication. The position is full-time and with full benefits.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop, write and edit content helping fellow sports officials better understand the rules, mechanics and philosophy of officiating basketball, baseball, football, soccer, softball or volleyball. Officiating knowledge in other sports also welcomed.
- Develop, write and edit news and feature stories covering the sports officiating industry and the issues the industry is facing whether at the youth, high school, college or professional levels.
- Work with outside writers —typically fellow sports officials —to create engaging content for Referee magazine and our other publications.
- Work with clients to develop custom content, both print and online, to meet their needs in officiating education.
- Manage print and multimedia product creation from inception to release, working closely with graphic designers and other editors.
- Assist with production of the National Association of Sports Officials annual Sports Officiating Summit.
Education & Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English or another related degree.
• Sports officiating experience at the high-school level or above (basketball, baseball, football, soccer, softball or volleyball officiating experience preferred.)
• Experience creating and/or editing content for print or digital media (five-plus years of professional experience preferred).
How to Apply:
To be considered for this position, please email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
• A detailed cover letter outlining your qualifications and experience as it relates to this position, including your officiating history.
• Your resume.
• Your salary requirements.
• Samples of (or links to) your published writing.
Referee Enterprises, Inc. is located in Racine, Wis., which lies along Lake Michigan about 30 miles south of Milwaukee and 70 miles north of Chicago. Each year, our editorial team produces a monthly magazine, monthly Referee/NASO print/digital newsletters, 50+ officiating-related books, web/app content, training videos and dozens of client newsletters. Referee also manages NASO, the nation’s largest officiating education, protection and advocacy group, including its annual Sports Officiating Summit.
Referee Enterprises, Inc.
2017 Lathrop Ave.
Racine, WI 53405
Freelance Writing Opportunities
If you’ve got a story idea you’d like to write for the magazine, check out our writers guidelines.